Saturday, April 25, 2009

Reminder: I'm scared of needles.......

So I've been sick on and off for about a month straight. So today after suffering through a 10-hour shift at the hospital I decided to suck it up and go to patient first. Wait was so short I didn't think it was going to be as bad as I've heard. Got back to my "room" and the doctor came in. OK he was the goofiest, kookiest doctor I've ever seen. He was just odd and trying to make jokes and be weird while I was coughing up a lung. He ordered and chest X-ray to clear out bronchitis and then he said the dreaded words.
"I want to get some blood from you too while you're here"
UMM WHATTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????? OK so my 2 greatest fears in life: snakes and needles. I tried to remain calm throughout the X-ray and then the person who was going to draw my blood walked in. Now he was probably 20-years old at the most, which to me created an automatic panic attack. Now the kid was SO nervous, kind of rambling, that I felt so bad I didn't even give him the regular "You mess up I punch you" speech I give everyone. When he thought he got a vein he got ready and stuck me, nothing. Pulled the needle out, moved it maybe an inch and stuck me again, NOTHING. At that point I almost lost it but I knew he was so nervous and upset that I just kept my cool. He got it on the 3rd try but WOW it hurt like hell
Ended up leaving Patient First with strong cough medicine and a Z-pack, exactly what I predicted. I'm 3 tubes of blood shorter and now completely traumatized.

No comments: